Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It is official...

we have a pre-schooler! I still can't believe my little princess is old enough to start school!! But, believe it or not, she is...and she did! I took a personal day at school today so I could be with her since one of us had to stay with her all of class today. Even though she loves church [finally, after 2 years of crying], I have been really nervous about how she would do at school because she is soooooo shy. I got even more nervous this morning when she told me she was "too busy" to go to school! I just kept telling her how fun it was going be...then in the car on the way there she said she had been dreaming about it last night.

When we got there, she didn't really want to cooperate with pictures, but I snapped a few anyway and we headed inside to her classroom. Her teachers, Miss Karen and Miss Nancy, were waiting to greet everyone and Aly immediately clung to my leg. We found her name tag, put her name on her tray for the day and washed her hands. The first 15 minutes were just for free play, so we I tried to suggest a few things to do. She didn't want to do anything until she was the table set up with magnifying glasses and sea shells. We played there until it was time for circle time. During the welcome circle time, she listened very carefully to her teachers as they explained they were going to be painting and coloring today! Her eyes lit up and as soon as they gave the go ahead, she ran to the paint station - my little artist! She painted for much longer than the others before I managed to get her to move on to the coloring table. She quickly colored her apple and was back to free play. During the last circle time and story time she listened intently, but refused to participate in the songs or motions (which I know she was just shy about doing because she made me sing them all with her tonight several times). Same thing for music time...I know this will change as she gets more comfortable.

Finally it was time to go. She gathered up her papers - in her backpack which is bigger than she is- and we left. Since she was in a better mood leaving, I got to get a picture of her in front of the sign! She was so sweet today, and as sad as it is that she is moving on to a new stage, I know she is going to enjoy school so much! She really loves to learn and do activities! Plus, it will be good for her to make some new friends!

I did better than I thought I would...I didn't even cry! I think I was so excited and nervous for her that I didn't have time to think about it. I did have a case of the 'moms' though while I sat there in circle time with her. Guilty, that I don't stay home with them. Comparing her to the other kids...did I prepare her enough? Could I have done more? Is she ready for this...all the other kids seem older! I haven't socialized her enough...etc. In the end I have to know that we have done ever thing we can and that she has to do somethings on her own. She is smart and she is soooo ready for the experience. I know she is going to grow so much this year and if baby her or she will not be prepared for the next step. I know it is only pre-school, but it is just hard to let go of some of that control. She will always be my baby (even if she eats and gets bigger ;)!

Look at how cute she is!!
Going in to school....look at how HUGE her backpack is!!
Let's take a closer look at these shells!
Painting -- Her favorite thing to do!!
After school in front of the sign! What a great day!

1 comment:

Jess said...

You are a fantastic mom. HOW BIG she is :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...