Saturday, May 15, 2010

Serve Columbus

Twice a year our church, The Vineyard, does an out reach for the local community.  There are tons of projects that take place the same morning around the city to meet practical needs and beautify the area.  We have never been able to be a part of it in the past, but this year Keith and Sarah signed up to help with a garden project and asked the rest of our small group to help out.  We decided it would be a fun way to get involved and let the girls come along.

The project was to weed and plant vegetables on the Fruit of the Vine's community garden plot at a city elementary.  FOTV is Vineyard's food pantry and with these gardens they are able to supply those in need with fresh vegetables throughout the season...which goes along great with my "Food Revolution" rampage I am on right now :) 

The weather was absolutely perfect and the girls had a good time helping.  After only about an hour, they got bored.  Thank God for our DVD player in the van....it was a life saver.  All three girls had a 'party' in the back seat watching Planet 51 while we continued to work.  They had such a great time.  Aly and Hannah both adore Adalyn!

The morning was a great way to serve the city with something practical, that was easy and fun to do.  I may actually continue to help with the ministry through the summer when they harvest and pass out the vegetables.  It is such a worthy cause and is a blessing to so many.  I am glad we had the chance to participate and bring the girls along with us! 

As a side note, I was wearing an old 'Young Life' t-shirt.  A little old man, who was also working in the garden with his wife and grand-daughter, asked me if I was involved in YL.  So, I told him Dan and I have been a part of that ministry since high school in some capacity.  We talked about it for a few minutes and he went on to tell me that he came to Christ as a junior in Texas in 1953!!  He went on staff with The Navigators and has been involved with the Vineyard since he moved to Columbus.  It gave me chills...what a reminder of how important it is to share the gospel and how far God can use that act can reach!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...