Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Quick Lesson on School Funding in OHIO

In less than an hour I have gotten emails from 5 different people about the last post...I told you I was offending people.  The overwhelming response I was getting is that school funding is simply not understood and that as educators, we are doing a terrible job of educating people on why schools are always asking for more money.  The majority of the problem stems from inflation.  So, here is a quick lesson as I had it explained to me earlier this year.

When a community approves a school levy, they agree to pay a certain amount (mil) of their property taxes towards the school district.  This is amount is set until another levy is brought before the community and is approved.  Just like a fixed income.

The problem is that costs go up.  Just like running household, it cost more and more to maintain.   Think about your own budget...doesn't it cost more now to simply live, than it did 4 years ago??  Of course.  Utilities go up, groceries goes up, gas goes up, etc.  But, unlike a household were salaries will increase at a rate similar to inflation, the schools revenue does not.  So even though expenses have gone up, we still get funded for what it cost to educate students 4 years ago...or when ever the last levy has passed.  

I know what you are thinking, 'Why not cut back like a household would have to do if they don't have the money?'  Well, if a school 'cuts back' it negatively affects their performance rating.  By law, schools (unlike the government) can not operate on a deficit.  And, in order to get more money, they must go to the voters and request more than what they had before....to accomplish the same thing!  The more mils you request, the longer it will last...and the more extreme the tax increase.  Less mils seems like a deal because taxes go up minimally, but they will be asking for a 'raise' again much sooner which frustrates and confuses the voters.  

THAT is why Ohio school funding was ruled unconstitutional.  If the mils adjusted at a rate similar to inflation, this issue would be resolved.  That is, of course, baring growth and the need for new buildings or major repairs.  That all goes into a 'bond' issue, which is completely different than an operating levy.     

There are a lot of schools that do not manage their money wisely.  That is a legitimate problem some communities have to deal with.  Gahanna is not one of them.  That has never been the reason given by voters to deny the new proposal.  People say they simply can't afford it.  That is what I am saying is frustrating and that is the slippery slope.  Once schools make a cut, it is almost impossible to bring it back because the voters would never approve that much on an increase.  

It is wrong.  Don't blame the schools.  Don't make students suffer.  Blame the government officials and write your congressman.

I hope that made sense and now, I'm done!  Love you all!   

**P.S. This is only for Ohio...I don't know about other states!** 

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Hi Jen! I just hopped over from SITS and wanted to wish you a happy Saturday...and Mother's Day! I will have to go back and read your other posts on this subject. Very interesting. I used to be a teacher too...but now stay at home with my little guy. I am always interested in still staying plugged in to what is going on with the school systems. Thanks for sharing!

Oh! And your blog is so cute. I am taking notes ;^)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...