Tuesday, August 14, 2012

She Did It Again!

We had just gotten home from the farm and I was finishing unloading the car when I head a loud thud.  I couldn't get a straight story out of either one of them.  From what I can gather, Hannah was goofing around, jumping over the arm of the couch and rolled off...right into the corner of our coffee table.  Seconds later Hannah was on the ground holding her head.  I ran over and picked her up.  That is when I noticed there was blood in her hair...and all over my hand.  A lot.  I couldn't see the cut, but I knew it was going to need something more than a boo boo buddy and a 'Hello Kitty' band-aid. I scooped her up, had Aly put her shoes back on and grabbed a bag of extra clothes I had just brought in from our day at Marmon Valley and headed for Urgent Care.

Dan was still at school so I called him to meet us there.  I don't do well with blood and I knew I couldn't hold her down by myself. I also called my mom to pick up Alyssa she was crying and scared so I didn't want her to make it worse.  Of course, it was packed. Why would Urgent Care be packed at 3:30 on a Monday afternoon?!?!?? They got us in fairly quickly though.  Once they cleaned it up enough to see, they knew it would need stitches so they used the numbing gel and let us sit down until it took effect.  She had blood caked on the back of her neck, in her hair and on her clothes
Watching 'Doc McStuffins' while waiting for the numbing gel to take effect.  She was not happy at first, but by the time they were ready for us that had numbed her head the the ibuprofen had taken effect so she was feeling much better.  She did better with the stitches this time since they were on the back of her head and she could see them.  She still had to be held down my Dan and I and a nurse.  I also did not feel as light-headed as last time, but thank God for daddy! 
After 4 'string band-aids', we were on our way home.  She got a shower to clean the blood out of her hair and a bowl of chocolate ice cream. Chocolate ice cream always make everything better.  Then, while I took Alyssa to cheer practice, Hannah watched Ariel with Daddy. 

Once we were all home and about ready to go up to bed, Dan noticed something.  Blood...on the back of Hannah's nightgown and dripping on the floor.  When I looked closer I saw that her hair was saturated with blood again and it was coming fast than when it first happened.  She wouldn't let me get a good look and I could not get a hold of anyone at Urgent Care so we loaded everyone up and headed back up there.  I thought maybe she had had bumped it and ripped a stitch out somehow or that they hadn't put enough stitches in to begin with.  

When we got there the same staff was on duty as when we were there earlier so they took us right back.  They couldn't tell at first where it was bleeding from so we had to strip her down and wrap her in towels so they could wash her hair enough to see.  Once they did that they saw it wasn't the wound they stitched that was bleeding, but a smaller scrape next to the big one.  There must have been a blood clot there that her hair knocked loose and started the bleeding.  It didn't need stitches, but they did put a pressure dressing that she has to wear for at least 24 hours.  It looks like it does in the photos above except thicker...and tighter to apply enough pressure to stop the bleeding.  Fun, right?

Hopefully, this is the last trip we have to make to Children's Close-to-Home for a loooooong time. Between Alyssa's sicknesses and Hannah's accidents they will probably be giving us our own private room before long ;) This is already the third set of stitches she has had in her life...and all on that side of her head!  And she hasn't even started to play organized sports yet.  I may be in the market for a custom helmet.  I could make it purple and sparkly, right...    

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...