Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Different Way to Live

Life is messy. We have learned that over the last year. Even though we have been incredibly blessed in the midst of our circumstances, this summer we have found ourselves discontent, wondering what is in front of us and frustrated.  The theme of our lives lately seems to be, ‘Nothing ever goes the way we planned’.  Those ‘nothings’ with careers, finances, friendships and church have been so frustrating it has begun to make us bitter. 

And bitterness, my friends, is bad news.

The Bible says bitterness is one of the most crushing mental problems in a person’s life: 
  • Bitterness is antisocial.  Even strangers avoid bitter people.  No one is happy around a bitter person. Proverbs 14:10
  • Bitterness is a sign of fragmented life. Jeremiah 2:19 
  • Bitterness motivates complaining. Job 7:11, 10
  • Bitterness motivates gossip. Psalm 64:10
  • Bitterness fragments other peoples’ lives. Hebrews 12:15
  • A bitter person rejects the Bible’s teachings. James3:14
  • Bitterness shows a total lack of grace orientation. Job 9:17-18
Basically, you are your own worst enemy.  It hardens your heart.  You lose close fellowship with the Lord.  It causes the loss of blessings of the normal Christian life, such as peace and joy. Once rooted, bitterness also gives life to hatred, cruelty, self-pity, arrogance, vindictiveness, selfishness and an un-teachable heart.  Lord, I don’t want that to be me! 

The Bible also tells us, in Ephesians 4:31, to 'get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger...'.  But, how do you do that?  Well, first you have to address the issues at hand.  That in itself may not be fun, but it is necessary to un-root the bitter feelings. Then you have to consciously make and effort to choose something else over bitterness.  Then you have to put time in proper perspective and be quick to give thanks. It is impossible to be bitter when you are filled with gratitude. Only when you are looking for the gifts will you be thankful to the giver.  The act of thankfulness creates a heart of worship. 

Last Spring was so hard because I was biter about the situation and I didn't slow down to even try to enjoy it.  My typical school mode is 'survive until the next break' and then in the summer we can really live our lives. I didn't even recognize what a gift even getting my job back was in the first place.  And, I was so worried about not having enough time with the girls, that when I did have time with them it was hard to enjoy because I was worrying about the next thing on my ever-growing list of responsibilities. Bitterness. I don't want to do that anymore. 

I read some excerpts from a book called One Thousand Gifts and it really hit hit me. I want to actually live in each moment I have...not just each 'season'.  And, I want to give thanks for the seemingly insignificant. I want to learn that even when I think nothing is going my way, I have incredible gifts in my life from the Ultimate Giver.  How would that change me heart?!?!?!

Here is the excerpt from the promotional clip she has about the book: 
 
Moments.  This is all we have…microscopic, fleeting moments.

How many moments have my eyes been wide open, but I have been rushing, racing, sleeping right through. Wake me up.

Life is not an emergency. Life can only be carried in the hand of the unhurried.

Count the ways he loves. A thousand more, never stop. So that when you wake in the morning you can’t help but fold your hands to the heavens. Though you grieve and though you wonder. The world is ugly…it. is. beautiful. And though time moves on, its moments are Holy. Though the plants spins, a blur, you can slow and you can wake. And you can trust. And you can pay attention to the moments with this offering of thanks. This is how you live your one life well.  Receiving each moment for what it is: Holy. Ordinary. Amazing Grace. A gift.

God whispers, “All these moments…all these are for you.”

What if we figured it out…that gratitude for the seemingly small and insignificant, this is the seed that plants the giant miracle in the midst of it all.
                                                                                                Ann Voskamp
One Thousand Gifts
 
A friend of mine did the #1000gifts challenge. Basically, you just take pictures or notes of the gifts in your life as you recognize them.  I am going to do this to. I want to learn to worship The Giver for all that He gives me. Starting today. 


Feel free to join in.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...