Monday, October 25, 2010

Allergy Induced Asthma

It has been a while since I blogged, I know.  This month has been ridiculously busy for us, but I plan to catch up on some posts throughout this week :)  I seriously can NOT believe October is almost over!  Where has the month gone?!?!

Anyway, last month we took Alyssa back to the allergist.  After months of being on antihistamines, her allergies and eczema were not getting any better.  In fact, they seemed to be getting worse and she was coughing constantly.  So I called and they asked to see her  in the office because she had 'all the classic signs of asthma'.  Great.  We went in and the doctor checked her out and couldn't believe how bad she was scratching on the medications!  So bad that she was making herself bleed in some places.  After listening to her lungs for a a second she said it was easy to diagnose her with asthma, induced by allergies.  She wouldn't need an inhaler, but did need daily maintenance medications to help her sleep and breathe during the day.  And, she said we should move up starting the immunotherapy to this December.   With shots, starting this young, Aly has a good chance of outgrowing the asthma and maybe even the allergies all together.  So, how exactly do you prepare a 4 year old for weekly shots for the next 9 months...and once a month after that for the following year or so???       

In the mean time, Aly is taking 5 medicines everyday...and we still don't see much of a change.  It stinks.  She is not sleeping well and I think the medicine is starting to affect her in others ways too.  Dan and I have started to take her forward at church for prayer.  Sometimes we feel trivial getting prayer for her allergies when there are people who are suffering from much worse.  But then we are reminded that Jesus is a mighty, all powerful God who cares for us and all that concerns us.  He wants to walk through life with us: good and bad; big or small.  We believe Jesus can heal and are praying He heals her from all this junk!  It is hard to see your child miserable and not able to help them.  Although, I am very thankful it is not something that is life threatening.  It could be so. much. worse.  My heart truly goes out to families who have terminally ill children...that is something I pray we never have to experience.  For right now, we are just trying to figure out how to proceed.  I hate allergies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...