Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pacifiers: Free to a Good Home

I have been saying all summer we were going to ditch the pacifier after vacation. And after fighting through her sleeping habits on the trip I figured I couldn't sleep any less than I have been, so Friday night we did it! We were REALLY nervous actually try it because we knew once we did, there was no turning back. Dr. Heiny told us to wait until a day when she had not napped well and give her a broken pacifier at bedtime (meaning we cut the very tip off so it no longer has suction). When we got home from Easton, we put on her pajamas and played. When she wanted the pacifier I gave her the broken one. I really wish I had recorded it! She sat there putting it in and out of her mouth, looking at it and touching it. She had the most confused look on her face...soooo cute! She didn't cry, but sat it on the couch and walked away.

At bedtime I put her in her crib, as usual, but gave her the broken paci instead. I kissed her, walked out and waited for the screaming to begin. Nothing. I looked on the video monitor and she was just looking around...next thing I know, she is fast asleep - not even a whimper. No way it is going to be this easy! She woke up in the middle of the night so I gave her a little bit of water and laid her back down. She was not very happy about this at all. She screamed, and jumped, and tried (almost successfully) to climb out of the crib. That lasted about 30 minutes and she was back to sleep. I expected it to last much longer than that! Then, she actually slept later in the morning than she has over the last month!

Saturday she was a little fussy here and there. You could definitely tell she she wanted it. Bedtime and the middle of the night went about the same, but maybe a little better.

Today at church (which I thought was going to be really difficult) she was fine! And, tonight she went down with no crying at all...again. I think we are officially done! She really surprised me and I am so proud of her, but that was way too easy! I don't know if that is good or bad. Maybe she will surprise us with the teenage years as well... ;)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...