Saturday, September 11, 2010

2,920 Days, and Counting

Last Tuesday, Dan and I celebrated our anniversary...eight years of marriage.  Most of you know that Dan and I went to high school together.  But, because the school was so large, we never actually met until our senior year at  Young Life Campaigners.  Almost 11 years ago exactly.  And, in all 11 of those years we have never been very 'good' at celebrating anniversaries...this one was no different.   

Wednesday our dryer stopped drying.  While I have wanted to get a new washer and dryer set since we moved, it was not on the list of 'must haves'.  A new couch, a deck, a trip to Disney and a new car all took priority over laundry.  But when the dryer stopped we had to readjust that list.  Of course we didn't have to get a new washer, but it hasn't been working that great either and after moving it found that it had been leaking.  So we thought we would stop at HH Greg to look around before going out on our date Friday night.  Little did we know it would take almost 2 hours...and I can think of a lot more I would rather do with $1,600!!!

We were so hungry by the time we left we couldn't decide what sounded good to eat so we looked at a few menus.  After deciding to go to Brio - our usual - we put our name on the list and sat on the benches to wait until our pager went off.  We waited a while and then went to see how much longer it would be because it was already 8:30 and our hopes of catching a movie was ruined.  The women, very rudely, told us they had paged us several times {No, she didn't...} but managed to find a table for us to sit at.  After sitting down we decided it was not what we wanted and took off for Bon Vie.  I know, we are the most indecisive people in the world!  Anyway, we should have just ditched it all and got a pizza or Chipotle because what we chose was not good and our server was less than attentive.  In fact, to top off the whole night, when it was time for her to bring us our bill she asked us if "it would be one check, or two"!! Really?!?! LOL! Apparently, we didn't look like a couple who has been married for 8 YEARS!! And, it is not that she thought we were so young because she didn't card me for my margarita...

While we were eating our mediocre dinner with non-existent service all we could do was laugh at the situation.  Dan asked me if I was disappointed in how the night played out...I said I wasn't, but there was a little part of me that was. So we started talking about how the movies portray this event. It's funny, because Hollywood makes you believe anniversaries should be the most important day of the year in a marriage.  With extravagant gifts, perfectly romantic candle lit dinners and exotic vacations.  As if, that single date is the litmus test of whether you love each other or not and is the deciding factor between happiness and divorce.  And if everything is not expertly planned and executed then it is a failure.  By this definition, I guess we fail.

What a lie.

An anniversary isn't just about that one day...it is about everyday.   Everyday is the most important...when you are in 'the trenches', living life together.  Good times and bad.  In sickness and in health.  That is why you can't base success on one romantic date.  A marriage is so much more than that.  And it isn't always perfect...or romantic.  Lucky for us ;)

That's why, even though nothing went like we had planned, it was still a great night.  We got to be together and celebrate all the days we have had over the last 8 years...all 2,920 of them.   

And, here are the gifts we bought each other...

Isn't that romantic?!?!?  Ahh, that's what marriage...and life...is all about.  Every single day.  And that, I think we are pretty good at.  I guess our romantic getaway to Bora Bora to stay in a floating cabana, on the crystal clear ocean will have to wait at least one more year...or 20.

In the mean time, we are going to have some really fun days, enjoying each other and the family we have created! I love you, Dan Bender!  Thank you for loving me everyday! ;)

1 comment:

Jess said...

I don't know why I'm reading this almost a year later, but The Seeds love the Bender marriage. You guys have seriously been such a huge part of us being where we are in our marraige today. Thank you for preaching us the gospel through your marriage. Love you guys

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...