Although I am not very musically gifted, other than being able to sing somewhat (I think...or at least in the car and the shower) music is definitely a big part of my life. And when I say music I mean other people singing, writing and producing music that is pleasing to my ears. But seriously I love music and always have. Music, good music at least, really speaks to you in so many ways. It covers so many emotions and usually says what you want to say, but don't know how to. I really love the singing part of worship at church because I feel like the Holy Spirit is alive and moving in music to soften and prepare and speak to me and others during that time. Growing up, my best memories of childhood and being with my dad were always ones with music involved. My dad and I went to tons of concerts together when I was a teenager and he always loved it and had something on at the house on the weekends. There are a lot of songs and artists that give me that nostalgic feeling when I hear them. It always brings me back to a nice summer evening on a Saturday, windows open, and music on in the background. Usually my dad had some friends over playing darts or just hanging out while I played G.I. Joes or cars. He always had it on and I love those memories. We always talked about music and liked the same people even to this day. So music has been so important to me always. I love a cool summer night with the windows open listening to music. There is something so relaxing to me about that. I can't wait for a screened-in porch at our house so I can enjoy many evenings relaxing to some good music and friends.
Why do I say all of this? Since I love music so much and it brings back so many memories and great feelings I have always wanted to share that with the girls. This past year or so I have gotten to do that with Aly and Hannah. It started with Aly who loved the song 'Your Love is Strong' by Jon Foreman. It is an awesome song about God's love for us. Aly used to love it and ask for it and sing the chorus with me every time we were in the car. Since then Hannah has began to enjoy and sing songs with us in the car and they have found many more favorites. It is sooooo cute to listen to them sing or in Aly's case try to sing all the words. She kind of mumbles along with the songs and picks up a few words or verses here and there, but she wants the music loud because she doesn't think we can hear her. She will immediately stop if we look at her, because she gets so embarrassed. She actually knows most of the words to a lot of songs. Its so amazing and precious to listen to her little munchkin voice singing the words. Hannah gets mad at Aly every time a song comes on and tells her, "no Ahyeee (Aly), its my sauhn (song)". We always have to tell her that it is all of our songs and then she proceeds by giggling and singing a few cute and loud words here and there that she remembers. They both really love music also and always request songs when we get in the car. I finally made them a play list on my iPod. Here is what is on it (these are what they ask for or say they like):
Zac Brown Band (Free , Chicken Fried and Highway 20 Ride)
The Fray (Syndicate [or as Aly calls it 'Baby Close Your Eyes'] and Never Say Never)
Jon Foreman (Your Love is Strong)
Brad Paisley (Water)
Mat Kearney (Closer to Love)
Disney Princesses (Kiss the Girl, or 'Gill' as Hannah says (with a southern twang), Belle and If You Can Dream)
Keith Urban (If I Ever Could Love, Only You Can Love Me this Way)
I know there will be much more to come for this play list. I Love, Love, Love that they enjoy music with me. It has been such a special thing we have shared together and as a family. A couple other favorite moments and times that involve music for us have been at home. My favorite evenings this last year and especially this summer have been when we turned off the TV and put on music and danced around the living room and kitchen with the girls. I love the nights when the windows are open and the music is on and we sit down for dinner together and laugh and sing and dance. We have had some special nights and days together doing that and I will continue to do. It's awesome how God uses music to mold and move our family. I wish I played the guitar or something, but other peoples music will work for me. I hope they grow up and have great memories of time spent with Jenn and I listening, laughing, eating and dancing to music together. They even help me do the dishes while we listen sometimes (hopefully that continues, huh?). I love spending time together as a family and music just adds to that and makes it that much more fun and special. This has been such a great summer and past year. I love watching Aly and Hannah grow and act and dress up like princesses and enjoy life. They constantly remind me of the love that God has for us and the desire he has to spend time with us and be in relationship with us.
As a side note (since I don't blog much): Jenn and I have decided to be Young Life leaders in Gahanna...again, only this time it will be as a family. We are so excited about this decision because our girls will get to do it with us and watch us share Christ with high school kids and with the leaders. It's going to be so fun to see how God uses our family and relationships to minister to those around us. I am also excited to have my girls be cared for and loved by our leaders, who love Jesus and will show Christ to them. This is a very fun time in our lives and I can't wait to see God move in this community and our family. Oh, and this was mostly Jenn's idea. Just thought I would give her credit! It is fun to watch God call my wife into ministry and a passion to share Christ and our family with high school kids. God has changed her in so many ways and made her an amazing mom, wife, teacher and woman of God...and He is still working. I am so unbelievably thankful for Jenn and my girls. My prayer is that we will all know Jesus more together, be good stewards of all he has given us and glorify Him with our lives and relationships. Ok, that's a lot and I'm done!
Dad's out...for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment