Sunday, June 20, 2010

Childhood Rite of Passage: Lemonade Stand

In true entrepreneurial spirit, Alyssa and Hannah set up their first ever Lemonade Stand at mom's garage sale yesterday.  A lemonade stand is a rite of passage for every American child so I thought, since it was a hot day, no one could resist buying a refreshing summer treat for 25¢ from two sweet little girls.  Well, I guess the economy really is hurting because I was wrong.  While there were a few paying customers, the majority of her business came from family.  I could not believe all the grumpy, rude people who walked past them and did not even acknowledge they were there!  If I saw a kid's lemonade stand stand, even if I were not thirsty, I would've bought a glass...or two.  It's 25¢!!  What is wrong with people?!?!?!?

She was so excited about it and had fun, but it was sad to see her business so slow.  She kept asking me all more when people were going to come and would say "Maybe they are thirsty..." when people walked up.  At one point she went in to watch TV with grandpa and would come back every once in a while to ask me if she had any customers!  So. Stinkin'.  Sweet.

If you include everything she made $12.60...take out family related income and she is left with $2.25.  Minus the cost of supplies, she made -$10.27.  That is like a 183% LOSS.   Maybe she would qualify for stimulus money as a small business owner... just kidding ;) If not for generous investors who don't expect to be paid back (mommy and daddy) she would be forced to lay off her sister employee and go out of business.  Then again, sometimes in business you have to consider all of the 'opportunity costs'...and the experience for them was priceless.

Open for business with a little help from Grandpa.
 
Shootin' the breeze with their very first customer.
Showing Daddy the hard earned profit.
There wasn't a 'kiss' on the menu...
They added all $12.60 profit to their piggy bank for the Disney 'fund' this morning.  At this rate we might be able to go by the time they graduate high school ;)  Actually, we are planning to go in two years...when Alyssa is 6 and Hannah is 4!

1 comment:

WeeMasonMan's Mom said...

Oh, that's so stinkin cute! We always had Kool-aid stands when I was a kid!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...