Believe it or not, we have never had a full nativity set. We have had bits and pieces, but never a complete set. This year, I bought the girls a set that they could play with. For being a children's set, it is actually really cute. Not too baby-ish and still unbreakable :) It was really funny because I ordered it online, so they kept asking when 'baby Jesus was going to be delivered'. He came during the day when Alyssa was in school so Hannah had the set to herself. She played with it for a while and then fell asleep. When I saw what she did with it, I actually laughed out loud. I took this picture on my iPhone, exactly how I found it.
Poor baby Jesus. Left all alone while everyone else is gathered around the ridiculous glittery, pink Christmas tree (which, by the way, did not come with the set). They were inches from the savior of the world and they all had their faces buried in a fake tree. Didn't they know they were supposed to be standing around Jesus?!?!?! How silly of them.
But the more I looked at the picture, the more profound it became.
Isn't this exactly how we treat Christmas today? We aren't found standing around our Saviors makeshift crib. Most of us aren't even in the stable. We are outside...with our faces pressed into the tree.
Don't we know we are supposed to be standing around Jesus?!?!?!?!
We are so busy admiring the 'glitter' that we believe it is going to fulfill our deepest desires; and we forget why we even have the tree to begin with! Then, when the glitter falls off and the needles turn brown on our trees we are disappointed and let down. We continue our lives, just going through the motions and void of true joy. Without a reason for real hope, we wait for the next glittery tree to come along.
If we stepped back...even a little, we would realize that the tree is dead. Cut off at the stump with no source of life. The tree itself isn't bad. But when we start to gather around it and worship the created, rather than the creator, Christmas looses its meaning.
That's why that picture made me laugh. Because that is not what that scene looked like. The angels sang, heaven rejoiced, shepards came from afar and Mary and Joseph we in love with their new baby boy. They understood that Jesus was someone special.
He was the gift.
He is the hope.
He didn't just come for the people in the manger...he come for us too. But, He won't force Himself upon us or guilt us into spending time with him. He just offers a gift.
So, he waits...by himself. The God of the Universe. Calling softly to us in the background of our hearts. Desperately wanting our attention and willing to give us everything he has in return. The life we have always wanted...a life that a dead tree can't provide. Yes, it is his birthday...but it is what his birth means to you and me that makes it special.
THAT is why we celebrate.
This holiday season, I pray we all back away from the tree and gather around the manger. For that is where the celebration began.
All that from a plastic nativity set...I'd say I got my $17.95 worth ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment