The last six months have been hard. Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually exhausting. It has tested us in ways I don't think we have ever been tested. But...
"God is faithful."
That word has been spoken to us over and over again by several friends who have been praying for us. We know it is true and we have seen His faithfulness throughout this time. But, it is still hard to live out when it feels like a semi-truck just ran over my strategically planned 'perfect' career. Sigh.
That word has been spoken to us over and over again by several friends who have been praying for us. We know it is true and we have seen His faithfulness throughout this time. But, it is still hard to live out when it feels like a semi-truck just ran over my strategically planned 'perfect' career. Sigh.
After the rif, I jumped back into school taking special education course work to earn a new license. It wasn't something I was really passionate about teaching, but I love working with students so I figured I would find the passion as I went. Since FCS is disappearing everywhere, it was the closest thing that would keep me in education...and I wanted to stay in education. After all, that was my plan.
But, it wasn't His plan. As I started taking classes, I quickly found out MMIS wasn't going to be something I was happy doing. I tried to deny it for a while. After all, what else would I do? Then the university changed their policies which made it increasingly harder and more expensive to complete the program. Grr! I kept asking God, "Why does this have to be so hard??" He quietly whispered back, "Because I didn't ask you to do it. I know the plans I have for you..."
Finally, I reconciled the fact that my life isn't going to look like I had planned it to look. I gave up. I am done putting square pegs in round holes and resisting God. I have to make a career change. God opened a door the very next day.
I decided to take the classes to get my real estate license and work along side my aunt, as a Realtor.
Crazy, huh?!?! In 'this market' it isn't going to be anymore 'secure' than education and it definitely won't be easy, but I am really excited! It has always been something I was interested in and the schedule is much more flexible, just up to me and my clients. I will be able to volunteer at the girls' schools for a few hours now and then, continue leading YL and maybe even sub once a month to see my students. Not only that, but I still get to teach...just in a different way. I love building relationships and I think that is what real estate is really all about.
It is a little overwhelming and scary, but Dan and I have had so much more peace since we decided I should do this. I don't know if this will be a long term solution, since Dan and I both feel very drawn to full-time ministry, but what do I have to lose? Not to mention, my totally awesome parents gave me the $1,200 I needed to take the courses! Best parents ever. Hands down.
I will be ready to roll by the first of the year. If you know anyone in the Columbus area looking to buy or sell, send them my way!!
Finally, I reconciled the fact that my life isn't going to look like I had planned it to look. I gave up. I am done putting square pegs in round holes and resisting God. I have to make a career change. God opened a door the very next day.
I decided to take the classes to get my real estate license and work along side my aunt, as a Realtor.
Crazy, huh?!?! In 'this market' it isn't going to be anymore 'secure' than education and it definitely won't be easy, but I am really excited! It has always been something I was interested in and the schedule is much more flexible, just up to me and my clients. I will be able to volunteer at the girls' schools for a few hours now and then, continue leading YL and maybe even sub once a month to see my students. Not only that, but I still get to teach...just in a different way. I love building relationships and I think that is what real estate is really all about.
It is a little overwhelming and scary, but Dan and I have had so much more peace since we decided I should do this. I don't know if this will be a long term solution, since Dan and I both feel very drawn to full-time ministry, but what do I have to lose? Not to mention, my totally awesome parents gave me the $1,200 I needed to take the courses! Best parents ever. Hands down.
I will be ready to roll by the first of the year. If you know anyone in the Columbus area looking to buy or sell, send them my way!!
No comments:
Post a Comment