Last Monday I was watching a Dr. Phil that had recorded on DVR last week and he was featuring a study done by a MALE, CHILDLESS researcher in California. He said that moms are not as busy as they make it seem and that they actually have 30-40 hours per week of leisure time. A full-time job's worth of free time to sit around and eat BonBons while watching General Hospital. Ha!
In my opinion, the study slightly a little flawed. Here are just a few of the examples of 'leisure time' as defined in the study: a root canal, waiting in a car on the side of the road for a tow truck with 2 children, going to the bathroom, etc. Are. You. Serious. I have never had to do either of the first two -Thankfully!!- but I know the bathroom is not a private place for me anymore. At any given visit to the potty I could have someone coloring at my feet, be changing a dolly's outfit, returning emails on a BlackBerrry or actually having someone trying to crawl in my lap. How relaxing!
One of the guests on the show said it best when she described it like this, "[free time as a mom] is like having someone tell you they are going to give you $1,000. But, it will be in nickles and thrown at your head when you aren't expecting it".
I'm not complaining at all...I absolutely LOVE being a mom and taking care of my family!! But being a wife, mom, teacher, daughter and friend (just to name a few of my roles) is busy! Of course every mom needs some time to herself to rejuvenate....I know I am a better mom after I have some time to myself, and believe me - there are times where I wish I had more time to myself. But I know someday I will have more leisure time and long for the days of business, so for right now I am just learning how to catch nickles...and sneak a few dollars here and there ;)
Am I nuts? Anyone think the study is accurate??
PS...It took me literally three days to publish this post because every time I tried to sit down an finish it, someone needed something. No exaggeration!
In my opinion, the study slightly a little flawed. Here are just a few of the examples of 'leisure time' as defined in the study: a root canal, waiting in a car on the side of the road for a tow truck with 2 children, going to the bathroom, etc. Are. You. Serious. I have never had to do either of the first two -Thankfully!!- but I know the bathroom is not a private place for me anymore. At any given visit to the potty I could have someone coloring at my feet, be changing a dolly's outfit, returning emails on a BlackBerrry or actually having someone trying to crawl in my lap. How relaxing!
One of the guests on the show said it best when she described it like this, "[free time as a mom] is like having someone tell you they are going to give you $1,000. But, it will be in nickles and thrown at your head when you aren't expecting it".
I'm not complaining at all...I absolutely LOVE being a mom and taking care of my family!! But being a wife, mom, teacher, daughter and friend (just to name a few of my roles) is busy! Of course every mom needs some time to herself to rejuvenate....I know I am a better mom after I have some time to myself, and believe me - there are times where I wish I had more time to myself. But I know someday I will have more leisure time and long for the days of business, so for right now I am just learning how to catch nickles...and sneak a few dollars here and there ;)
Am I nuts? Anyone think the study is accurate??
PS...It took me literally three days to publish this post because every time I tried to sit down an finish it, someone needed something. No exaggeration!
7 comments:
Stopping by from SITS to say hi!!!
Was it a good episode? Did these "experts" appear to have well founded opinions?
The nickels metaphor is exactly correct. I wrote down my schedule in a post and was completely floored to find that my days start and end at 1am. Yes, I do have some time here and there, but I need those minutes for myself. My brain needs the breathing time.
Were the "experts" a panel of men in suits?
Thanks for stopping by!
I loved the "nickle" analogy! I'll have to share that with my sister chick friends! Several men from church have upped their life insurance on their wives on the recommendation from their agents. They were told that they would never be able to really afford to replace their wife if something happened to them. I rarely have much free time, even with teenagers. Even when I'm supposed to be sleeping, my brain doesn't quit.
Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing! (Stopping by from NFF)
No doubt! I work outside of the home by necessity and, although I wish I could stay home with my kids, I know what a hard job it is. Let me rephrase that a little, it is a hard job to do well. I'm sure you would have 40 hours a week of leisure time if you did not interact with your kids and used the television as a babysitter. But even sitting here on the computer I am force feeding my three year old and keeping him from getting into the Pledge. We multi-task as mothers, we don't have leisure time that is uninterrupted and we never get to leave our job at the end of the day.
Oh my gosh! That is insane! I too LOVE being a mom and wouldn't change it for the world, but 30-40 hours of "leisure" time?! Like you stated, it takes me DAYS to get ONE post out usually! While I am typing this, at this moment, I am yelling at my kids! lol That's not leisure. Leisure is sipping bahama mama's on the beach, or like you said watching general hospital and eating bon bons. And *ahem* we don't get sick days OR vacation days!! Okay sorry for the tirade... lol
Well then. I guess well I'm nursing my son and reading would be considered leisure too. I think perhaps the moms he was studying had a full time nanny on hire. Also he needs to have kids. I don't think anyone can seriously do a study on the subject with which they know nothing about. Thanks for posting this. I never watch television any more but it's nice to know I'm not missing much. :P
Post a Comment