Thursday, April 1, 2010

I Just Can't Shake It...

I love teaching what I teach because, not only do I get to teach them valuable life skills, I get to have fun with them and build relationships with my students that go beyond the classroom.  Usually hey teach me a thing or two in the process.  Last week I had a conversation with a girl that really got to me and I can't seem to shake it...

While they are working in class I like to float from table to table and become a part of their conversations.  This particular days was after having a sub for my personal day on Hannah's birthday.  My student's were asking me about my day of with Hannah, so I was telling them about her day.  Then, out of the blue, a very sweet 6th grade girl said, "I used to have a 2 year old sister..."

Not at all prepared for the answer I asked, "What do you mean 'You used to...'?"  Her response almost brought me to tears right in the middle of class.  She told me very quietly, "I used to, but she died in a car accident when she was 2.  I was only in 1st grade."  Oh. My. Gosh...    

I couldn't say anything.  My heart stopped and I was overwhelmed with sorrow for this girl and her family.  She seemed as though her heart had healed and was doing fine.  But, in that moment, it wasn't her sister or her family.  For a split second, it was mine.  It was Hannah. Aly. Dan and I.  The scenario played in my mind like a bad movie you can't block out even if you cover your eyes and plug your ears.    I don't know what I would do if I lost one of them...  

Being that Good Friday is tomorrow, it helps put The Cross into perspective.  God sent his precious baby boy into a broken world knowing he was going to be hated, persecuted, beaten and crucified....knowing full well there will always be people who don't understand or appreciate the sacrifice.  I don't even know that I always do.  I do know that I wouldn't do that for anything or anyone!   So, how much more must God love me [and you] to watch and allow Jesus to suffer through that?!?!?  Thankfully, he did! Because when Jesus rose three days later...it changed our standing in eternity forever.    

I know I probably sound really emotional this morning...I am not pregnant (I know some of you were probably thinking that ;).  I think it's just because it's a reminder of how unpredictable life can be.  We aren't guaranteed anymore days and that each one, really is a blessing.  I really need to start living more in 'today' and - not thinking about what might or will happen in the future - and enjoying the little things.  Easier said than done for me.  I am a worrier and a planner.  With all that said, the girls and I are going to go play in the beautiful weather we are having!!  Don't take anyone for granted...give your loved ones a kiss this morning and let them know how much they mean to you!!

15 comments:

Leslie said...

I really enjoyed your post! I just found you on new friend friday! I am also a teacher and I love the liife lessons that my students teach me as well.

Bombshell BLISS said...

That was quite a timely reminder of how precious all the relationships we have are really.

Life lessons are everywhere aren't they!

Stopping by from SITS! Hope you are preparing for a stellar weekend!
Jeanette

Joni said...

Very moving. Almost brought me to tears. Stopping by from FF. Hope you have a blessed weekend and a Happy Easter. Hope to see you over at my place sometime. Come by to say hi and become a follower.

http://sixcherriesontop.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

That was a very heartfelt post- just in time for Easter too ;-)Happy Friday Follow- stop by my place when you can!

cheri said...

after the several scares i've had with jackjack, this is something i take to heart. even if there are days when i'd like a little respite from the non-stop "mommy!" i hear all the time, i think of the man at the cross and how his father is feeling at that exact same moment.

shuttling in from SITS :)

Cherie Nelson said...

What a beautiful post! Life is so delicate and it seems that children have a way of reminding us of that!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.You have a beautiful family!

Heidi said...

What a great reminder - and very timely for Good Friday. Thanks for sharing. I recently lost my best friend to cancer so the frailty of this life is very evident to me. I pray I never lose sight of that!

I'm following from Follow Me Friday. I hope you'll stop by and visit my blog. http://heidi-strawser.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Dropping by from TMC and FF. Cute blog! I'm a former teacher turned SAHM, but there are days I definitely miss the classroom. Happy weekend and early Easter!

joeandbridge said...

Hi there! Stopping in to be your newest follower from Friday Follow! Hope you can swing by mine!
Happy Easter!

Bridgette Groschen
The Groschen Goblins
www.groschengoblins.com

Unknown said...

Happy new friend Follow. I am following you now, come follow me :)
Lovely family and kids. I am a Mom too. Great post about Easter. Happy easter. He is risen :)
Frenchy

Theta Mom said...

Thanks for visiting me on my SITS Day - and welcome to TMC!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl said...

Over from SITS Sharefest..

How sad for that little girl and her family - no wonder you can't get it out of your mind!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

I had an experience like that that I couldn't shake a couple of months ago, and it really does put things into perspective. Your post really touched me this morning. Thank you, and happy Easter!

Heather said...

I don't think it's odd that you turned her pain inward. I do that every time I hear about someone losing a child around the age of mine. It is a slap of reality that we are blessed with having our children in our lives.

Stopping by from SITS. Hope you have a great Monday!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing you can say. An empathetic nod is sufficient. Dropping by from SITS!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...