Sugarbush is a GS camp right here
in Gahanna, that has been around for decades…I even went there as a little
girl. Just off of Cherry Bottom, it
backs up to Blendon Woods Metro Park. At
the day camp, which was a loooong day…9-3, they do several activities, like hiking,
creeking, cooking, kapers (chores), sing songs, crafts, water games, etc. This year the theme was 'Survivor'...and survive she did. But she was so tired and filthy by the end of each
day it was insane.
Here she is on the way to her
first day…so excited and cute with her little pink OSU hat!
Alyssa was assigned to Unit #7,
The Bula Bula Butterflies…and their color just happened to be pink! She was also lucky enough to have a few
friends in her unit from her home troop, including LeShae, Reese and
Megan. That caused a little bit of drama
during the week, but overall, I think it was nice she had some familiar faces
to be with. She also got to make some
new friends as well.
Her leaders were FANTASTIC. I almost didn’t sign her up because I knew
they did a lot of outdoor cooking as a part of the activities and I was worried
about her GF diet and the stress it would be to try to match the meals and pack
her GF versions. However, I didn’t want
her to miss out on the experience just because of gluten so I signed her up
anyway and prayed it would be easier than I thought. I was pleasantly surprised when I reached out
to her leader that they had that all taken care of. She made sure that everything they were
cooking was GF or bought a GF version for her (i.e. pasta, buns and cake mix). So not only would she be able to participate
in making it, she could eat it all without feeling left out or different
because she had to eat a separate treat.
What a blessing!! I know Alyssa felt really loved by that, so I can’t
give the program and her leader enough thanks.
Even though she said she loved it, there is a
part of her that I don’t think liked it as much as she said. I don’t know if Hannah will want to do it…she
is not much of an ‘outdoor’ kinda girl :) One thing Alyssa had not idea going into camp that there was not going to be bathrooms with plumbing. She was appalled at the smell and sight of
the latrines. She refused to use them
all together. Everyday when I picked her
up she had to go so bad we had to stop at the gas station. One day it was so bad she was crying. Poor thing.
She said ’there were flies in the toilet and I didn’t want them to fly
up my butt.’
Hard to argue with that. I'm kind of partial to indoor plumbing myself.
Either way, she enjoyed her time
at Sugarbush and said she can’t wait to go back next year! She was so proud of the stuff she
learned. She showed us how to make
banana boats for dessert at a cookout this week and helped Dan build a fire in
our fire pit. She is going to be our
little leader when we go camping on Kelly’s Island next month! She is so
sweet! Thankful she had a fun time, but
I am happy to get back to lazy summer mornings…and I think she is too :)
Here is Unit #7 with their
leaders.

No comments:
Post a Comment